Apologies for the paucity of posts over the last fortnight – I promise that normal service will shortly be returned! I am currently somewhat rushed off my feet. You may know that my current job is split between two roles – nominally I spend 30% of my time on my own research, including fieldwork; conferences; supervising PhD students and post-docs; writing papers; refereeing; replying to emails; and, of course, writing this blog! The other 70% of my time is spent helping to run the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health (Faculty in this context is the European not US meaning – i.e. it is what is often referred to in the US as a College, although confusingly that word has a different meaning for us as well). In particular, I look after research and enterprise activities across nine academic units, including the Medical School, Archaeology, Anthropology, Education, Law, Geography, Government and International Affairs and Applied Social Sciences, and various associated units and centres.
From the middle of January I will give up this role to move to something new and exciting. At this time I will take over as the Executive Director of the Durham University Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience.
Read the remainder of this post at the new AGU hosted home of this blog.